Revolutionary War Scavenger Hunt
Adapted with thanks from the creator of the Revolutionary War Scavenger Hunt, Jan Purnell's site: lasd.k12.pa.us/.../purnellj/rwhunt.html
- Click on the highlighted word in each question to travel to the site on which you will find the answers.
- If there is no highlighted word, then stay on the page you are presently viewing and search for the answer there.
- You may have to choose different links within a site to find the answers.
- If you hit SUBMIT early by accident, just start again where you left off. Enter an "X" in any field you already answered.
PRELUDE TO REVOLUTION - THE CAUSES AND EVENTS
A. LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, Favorite cookie
1. What was signed in 1763? By whom was it signed?
2. What did it say? (try to use your own words to explain)
3. When was the Sugar Act passed? (use the link as it provides the answer to numbers 4-7 as well)
4. What was passed in 1765? Name 4 items
5. What happened on December 16, 1773?
6. What event happened on March 5, 1770?
7. Who actually hung the two lanterns in the Old North Church on April 18, 1775?
8. What were the Intolerable Acts?
9. Name the 4 laws which were passed in this Act.
IMPORTANT PEOPLE OF THE REVOLUTION
10. On what date did Paul Revere make his historic ride?
11. Who went with Paul Revere on this ride?
12. The following quotes came from the time period during the Revolutionary War. Who said each of them?
"Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country".
BATTLES OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR
Go to History Place and fill in the blanks with the appropriate words:
13. At dawn on April 19 about 70 armed Massachusetts militiamen stand face to face on Lexington Green with the British advance guard. An unordered '________ ____________ _____________ ______ __________' begins the _____________________ __________.
14. After Lexington, where did the British go?
15. What were the British and American losses (dead and wounded) at Bunker Hill?
16. Who was the commander of the British forces who ordered his troops to destroy the military stores at Concord in April of 1775?
17. What Revolutionary War battle was fought on October 7, 1780?
18. On what date was the battle of Trenton, NJ fought?
19. Where and when was Washington defeated on September 11, 1777?
20. What was one of the most commonly used (popular) weapons of the Revolutionary War?
21. What was the most powerful weapon used?
22. Name two other weapons used in the Revolutionary War.
23. What young woman posed as a man so that she could serve for the American Army in the War for Independence?
24. What were the names of the two sisters who stole an important message from British soldiers and carried it to General Greene of the American Army?
25. Name one other woman who aided the cause of the American Army.
26. Who made up the Committee of 5 men who drafted the Declaration of Independence?
Fill in the blanks to complete this sentence from the Declaration of Independence:
27. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created _________________, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are ____________, ______________________ and the pursuit of _____________________________.
A NEW NATION
28. On what date was the Revolutionary War officially ended? (When did Congress officially declare an end to the war? - Look towards the bottom of the web page)
29. On what date did Washington deliver his inaugural address in New York City? (3/4 of the way down)
30. Who served as President after Washington?