Summer Olympics Challenges!!
Simply Solve the questions on paper, enter your answer in the field for each section, then submit!
*NOTE* - Don't forget to write decimals in your answers if needed!! If the answer is in decimal form and you enter it without a decimal, it will be marked wrong.
summer Olympics Diving
1. Antenna is in training for the women's 3 meter springboard event. In 2003 her average score was 542.7. This year her average score is 10% higher. What is her average score this year?
2. In the first day of diving competition, Shampoo scored 33.4, 33.5, and 29.2. What was his average score for the day?
3. Ten divers all performed the reverse 3 1/2 somersault with a half twist off a 3 meter springboard. Their scores were 39.6, 43.3, 42.3, 40.5, 49.5, 46.7, 48.6, 48.5, 47.6, and 45.4. If Katiepoo wants to know the difference between the highest and lowest scores, what would it be?
4. Jelly qualified for the USA women's diving team with a final score of 884.7 points. Sunshine qualified for the second spot with a final score of 874.38 . What was the difference in scores?
5. The 10 meter high platform from which Olympic divers jump is a minimum of 20 feet long by 6.5 feet wide. What is the minimum acceptable area of a 10 meter Olympic platform?
6. The Edge Tickets, Inc. is offering 20% off the price of tickets to diving events. A ticket to the men's 3 meter springboard finals is $350. How much would 8 tickets to that event cost after the discount?
Summer Olympics Gymnastics
1. Skeeter's final score on the parallel bars was 9.1. Grace's final score on the same event was 9.7. How much higher was Grace's score than Skeeter's score?
2. Mayapoo's final score on the beam was 9.27. Christypoo's final score was 0.17 higher. What was Christypoo's final score?
3. On the vault, the judges gave Alyssa 9.1, 9.7, 9.8, and 9.5. Drop the highest score and the lowest score and find the average of the two middle scores.
4. There were 68 athletes trying out for the gymnastics team. Only 1/4 of the athletes were chosen for the second tryout. How many athletes were NOT chosen for the second tryout?
5. The 8 contestants in the pommel horse event received scores of 8.9, 8.7, 9.2, 9.1, 9.7, 9.4, 8.8 and 8.9. What was the average score? Round the answer to the nearest hundredth.
6. Five women took part in the floor exercises. If the total of all their scores was 46.5, what was the average score?
Summer Olympcis Track and Field
1. NaeNae holds the record in the Decathlon with 9,026 points. If the previous record holder's score was 70% of NaeNae's score, how many points did the previous record holder make?
2. In training for the triathlon, Cool Beans completed the swimming in 10 minutes 54 seconds and the cycling in 10 minutes 35 seconds. If her final time for the event was 29 minutes 4 seconds, how long did the run take her?
3. CDog lives in New York City. He throws the javelin on the NYU track team. He traveled 733 miles to the Olympic Games in Atlanta. This summer he will travel 4936 miles to see the track and field events in Rio. How much further is it to Rio than it was to Atlanta?
4. In Atlanta in 1996, E2 of Ethiopia completed the 10,000meter run in 27 minutes 33 seconds. Tomahawk ran the same race in 26 minutes 13 seconds. How much faster was Tomahawk's time than E2?
5. Rock Monroe of the U.S.S.R. in Seoul, Korea, set the Olympic record for the hammer throw in 1988. Mr. Rock threw the hammer 92.3 meters. How many centimeters did he throw the hammer?
**6. Some polevaulters buy their own practice poles. GBRS, Inc. sells 13'1" poles for $328 and 17'1" poles for $515.17. What is the difference in the cost of the poles per inch?